Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Boston was fabulous!

We flew US Air into Philly and found out our flight to Boston was canceled. They bumped us to a flight 30 minutes later. No problem, our luggage will get on that flight, right? They said yes. Wrong. It didn’t come in on that flight and the next two flights were canceled. I called at 1:30 in the morning to see if it had come in on the last flight and was told that it didn’t and that I should call in the morning. I called and they told me it had arrived and would be delivered. I, of course, asked when. They said by 10:30. There was a message on the hotel phone that I hadn’t seen and when I called they told me our luggage was in the lobby. They brought it up after I asked them to. Yeah, we were set to vacation.

We took a trolley tour that was ok, but not great. We got to see all of the sights, but they wanted everyone to be quiet so you could hear about the history. It was kinda strange to be told to be quiet, but we also did want to hear the history. The problem was we thought the first driver wasn’t too funny but when we got back on after checking our Fenway Park, the driver was worse. But we had a good idea of where everything was and what we wanted to go back to see.

Mom and I wanted to shop. We wanted to go to Filene’s Basement, Macy’s, and DSW (a huge shoe store). We made it to DSW the first day and I got a pair of cute shoes, but then went back to the hotel to get ready to have dinner. We found out later in the week that Filene’s was closed and wouldn’t open for a couple of years (boohoo) and we did get to Macy’s, but we weren’t too impressed. We did end up getting Mom a pair of flip flops at Payless Shoe Source.

On Thursday we walked part of the Freedom Trail. Boston proper is not very big and we stayed in the Financial District which was very central. It was a 10-15 minute walk to the North End, aka Little Italy to those not from Boston, and a 10-15 minute walk to Beacon Hill. We saw graveyards, Paul Revere’s house, the famous “one if by land, two if by sea” church steeple, the Boston Commons and the Public Gardens. It was a very relaxed vacation and it was great to spend the time with my mom and my sister.

We listened in at one graveyard to a tour leader talk about Sam Adams. She told us to look at the picture of Sam on the beer label. It isn’t him. I guess he was “butt ugly” (her words, not mine) and that the picture is actually Paul Revere. Compare these photos.



Paul Revere by Copley


















Samuel Adams




We got to see the Isabella Stewart Gardener Museum, had lunch at the Museum of Fine Arts, and went to Harvard Museum of Natural History and the Peabody. We took a very short harbor tour and saw the USS Constitution and the beautiful buildings of Boston from the harbor.

I am glad to be home and now I get to help Robin finish getting ready to move to Bellingham. We take him this Friday. I’ll let you know how I hold up.

Be Free,
Lorri

2 comments:

Backofpack said...

Sounds like fun (except for the luggage!). I loved our visits to Boston. I guess we lucked out when we got a funny tour guide. Glad you are home!

Jenny, Maniac #401 said...

So Cool! Can I borrow your line about Samuel Adams being Butt ugle next week when i teach about Samuel Adams? The kids only can relate him to the beer, so that would be fun.
Glad the trip went well after your luggage arrived.
Jenny